Pages

Monday 14 January 2019

My Hometown

My hometown is Christchurch, New Zealand.

Christchurch is the biggest city in the South Island and is also known as The Garden City.

It is called The Garden City because it has lots of beautiful parks, gardens and tree lined streets. I live close to a park and love going over there to bike on the trails, play on the playground and play roller hockey on the tennis courts.

Another great thing is that it doesn't take long to get to the beaches. We love going boogie boarding and catching the big waves. Our favourite beach for boogie boarding is New Brighton. At New Brighton they also have a great playground with a whale pool and cool new water play area. There are also cool climbing nets and a pirate ship.

Christchurch is mostly flat but does have the Port Hills which had a big fire a couple of years ago that started on my birthday! It took two months before the fire was properly out.

Another thing Christchurch has been known for in the last nine years is earthquakes. The first one in September 2010 (when I was a baby) was at the Greendale fault and caused lots of damage to buildings. The next big one was February 2011 which caused further damage to buildings but also took lots of lives. The earthquakes has meant a lot of rebuilding in the city which includes the new Margaret Mahy playground which is one of my favourite places to go to.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Shjon!

    Wow, that was a really interesting description about your hometown. It is lovely how you really enjoy going out to places such as the parks and gardens and tennis courts to play roller hockey. And I was really sad to hear about how you mentioned the earthquakes that took many lives, although you were a baby so at least you didn't have to remember the horror of those days! I was wondering while reading your post how affected YOU were during the earthquake? Did your house get damaged? Were you evacuated? I'd love to know!

    Great post, dude!

    Happy blogging
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like you're description of the terrain, and and I also enjoy boogie boarding. I'm sorry to hear about the earthquakes and hope you aren't effected in the future.
    -Isaac,Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Shjon,

    My name is Susie and I am a member of the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) team just like Mikey! It is great to have you join us as we learn all about our world and the environment. I hope you are as excited as I am!

    Christchurch sounds like an amazing place to live in. I love how you've talked about the different attractions in the city and what the city is well-known for. I've actually been to New Brighton once and I remember it was a beautiful beach with large waves. I love how there is a public library right in front and the bridge look so colourful when it lights up at night!

    Do you have any recommendations for parks, gardens and tree lined streets in Christchurch? I would have to it on my To-Visit list for my next trip to the South Island. Let me know!

    Looking forward to blogging with you,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morena Shjon,

    It's great to see taking part in the Summer Learning Journey and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

    Well done on including so much different information about Christchurch, you have given some great information and history of your home town.

    New brighton is such a great place to go on a nice, hot Summers day isn't it! I haven't been in quite some time but I'll have to go this Summer I think. The whale pool is pretty cool and really refreshing and it is also nice if the sea water maybe a bit rough or cold to have the whale pool to use instead. Who do you usually go to New Brighton with? I always used to get an ice cream when I was there, how about you?

    Until next time, happy blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.